Our Homes Can Be Poisonous to Pets, but They Don’t Have to Be

Our Homes Can Be Poisonous to Pets, but They Don’t Have to Be

  • Our Homes Can Be Poisonous to Pets, but They Don’t Have to Be

Our Homes Can Be Poisonous to Pets, but They Don’t Have to Be

National Poison Prevention Week, which was enacted by Congress in 1961, always occurs during the third week in March. This year it falls from March 15 to March 21st. So, what exactly is the purpose of National Poison Prevention Week?

This specific week has been set aside to highlight awareness and prevention of poisoning, and what to do if any unfortunate scenarios occur. At Roseway Veterinary Hospital, we use this week to remind our clients about the potential dangers their furry friends can encounter if they get poisoned by everyday household objects.

Since pets are just naturally curious, it is extremely important to keep certain things away from paws’ reach. We encourage you to pay attention to:

Living rooms. Poisonous things in these areas include certain plants, fragrance products, batteries, bags/purses (which can contain many toxic items) and more.

Kitchens. There are many human foods that are poisonous to pets and should be kept away from them. Garbage cans should also be kept pet-proof, and alcoholic beverages need to be stored away from curious snouts.

Bathrooms. All medications need to be stored away in cupboards and not on countertops. Bathroom cleaning products should also be tucked away, and always remember to close toilet lids.

Garages. Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) products have a sweet taste that pets may enjoy. However, it is extremely deadly and should be stored away safely along with other car products, cleaners and fluids.

Outdoor areas. Keep fertilizers sealed and out of reach. Grub or snail killers can also be harmful to pets, as well as insecticides and herbicides.

The above examples are just some of the common scenarios where pets can become poisoned from everyday products. If you believe your pet has ingested anything toxic, contact us immediately at 503.360.9695. Please be ready with the label or type of object your pet has ingested.

We treat National Poison Prevention Week very seriously and we highly encourage you to contact us for additional information on household toxins and how to keep your pet away from them. You can also reach out to the Pet Poison Helpline which is available 24/7 for any additional questions or expert help.

Leave a Comment

Name*

Email* (never published)

Website

Sign Up For Our Newsletter!