Fall Hazards Around Your Home

Fall Hazards Around Your Home

As we are getting back into our fall routines and school time, it’s a good idea to be aware of some of the seasonal dangers your pet might encounter. We have put together a list of some of the most common risks to pets that may be in your home:

Rodent Poisons

Rat and mouse poison use increases in fall as rodents seek shelter from colder temps. Rodenticide poisoning is sadly quite common, and these substances—even the ones that say they’re “pet safe”—can be highly toxic and even fatal to pets if ingested, especially cats.

Candy & Holiday Foods

Holiday foods are often high in fat and even small amounts can result in pancreatitis. You probably already know that chocolate is bad for pets, but also be aware of candy, gum, and other products containing xylitol. This artificial sweetener has been shown to cause severe liver damage and even death in dogs.

Getting Warmer

Cats who go outdoors will often seek warmth in the engine block of a recently driven vehicle. Obviously, serious injury and death can result if they’re napping there when the engine is next cranked. Check for them under the hood before starting the car.

A Walk in The Dark

With shorter, colder days, you might find yourself taking walks in the dusk or darkness with your pet. It’s important that you and your dog wear a light-colored, reflective coat, collar, and/or leash so drivers can see you both.

Vehicle Coolants/Antifreeze

Fall is the time when many people change their vehicle’s coolant/antifreeze. Some of these liquids are tasty to pets, so make sure all spills are cleaned up or switch to propylene glycol-based coolants, which are less toxic.

Avoid Mushrooms

99% of mushrooms are harmless—but the 1% that are toxic can cause life-threatening problems in pets. Most poisonous mushrooms are hard to distinguish from non-toxic ones, so keep pets away from areas where mushrooms grow.

Stash the School Supplies

Glue sticks, pencils, and magic markers are low toxicity for pets, but their shapes and smells make them attractive as chew toys. Gastrointestinal and upset and blockages can occur if ingested, so be sure your children keep their school supplies out of paw’s reach. Contact us at 971-252-3154 or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested something harmful.

While we all do our best to keep anything hazardous away from our pets, sometimes they get curious and stumble upon things that could cause them harm. If that happens, contact us at 971-252-3154 or request an appointment online today!

Sign Up For Our Newsletter!